How Do I Get Information on Community Service?
Please call or email Kelly Davis, our Community Service Coordinator, in the front office (email@example.com) at 949-515-3389 and firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also stop by school during regular business hours (7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.).
If you're looking for community service opportunities, check the bulletin board near the front office. It is always updated with places to earn community service.
Remember that community service must be performed for a non-profit agency and not by working "for free" for a business.
You will want to provide a Community Service Form to your agency
What is the Community Service Requirement?
What is the community service requirement?
Students who attend our district for all four years of high school must serve 40 hours of community service as a requirement for graduation from Newport-Mesa Unified School District. Students in the district less than four years will have their requirement prorated to 10 hours per year in the district. It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may accumulate more than 10 hours per year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What is the purpose of the community service requirement?
The purpose of the community service program is to provide all N-MUSD high school students the opportunity to have a positive impact on our local community while learning that service to others is an on-going part of life.
It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may accumulate more than 10 hours each year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What qualifies as community service?
- Community service hours must be completed at a non-profit organization.
- A student may volunteer for a single organization or at a variety of organizations.
- Students are encouraged to complete their hours in areas related to their personal interests.
- Paid experiences do not qualify.
- Working without pay at a business, your job, or for a family business does not qualify.
- When a student transfers from one N-MUSD school to another, the community service hours will be forwarded to the receiving school.
How do I prove my community service hours?
· Students must complete a Community Service Verification Form for each organization he/she volunteers at. A supervisor's signature is required on each form. The parent of a student may not sign as the supervisor. Verification forms are located in the Registration Attendance office E-5. Forms must be submitted within one month of the date of service and are to be turned into the Office. Hours earned over summer should be turned in at the beginning of the school year in September. The deadline for submitting community service hours is June 1st of each school year. Seniors, however, must have their requirement completed by April 1st of their senior year.